AUGUST 23 2011 20:38h
This week the investigation of 15 witnesses of maritime tragedy where Tomislav Horvatincic is a main responsible for the accident he caused with his motor yacht and where two Italian citizens died who were sailing their boat near Primosten will start.
Last Friday the investigation judge of the County Court Branko Ivic determined custody for Horvatincic in duration of one month to prevent Horvatincic’s possible witness tempering. This Monday morning the judge said that the court was still waiting for the autopsy report that would determine if those two Italians could have survived if help had been provided after the Horvatincic’s yacht hit their sailboat.
In order to remind, DORH raised charges against Horvatincic for causing the accident where two people died due to offender’s indirect intention. They also charged him for not providing help when necessary. Horvatincic’s defense lawyer Velimir Dosen, who came to court to pick up the files, said that the court didn’t receive the autopsy report. When the news-reporters asked him if it was true that the Italian male citizen was still alive after the accident, he explained he had no clue how the media came up with this information.
- I can only repeat the statement of the investigation judge who said he didn’t receive the autopsy report but the coroner reported that the accident was followed by Italians instant death – said Velimir Dosen who represents Horvatincic together with Branko Baica.
Their defense team emphasized that the statements about Horvatincic offering the settlement to the victims’ families were not true.
They added there was no official confirmation about Horvatincic sending his report to the media after the accident. The report was sent from his e-mail but the action could have been performed by someone of his associates. They explained that such an action has no legal effect since Horvatincic was in defense of silence.
- They emphasized they still didn’t receive the report from the Ministry’s investigation committee and port authorities since the conclusion about the autopilot failure still wasn’t determined.
After he visited his client, the lawyer of Tomislav Horvatincic Velimir Dosen reported that Horvatincic was feeling very bad due to his bad health condition. He added that Horvatincic suffered from bone carcinoma.
- He feels very sorry for everything that happened and he said he wanted to help the victims’ families in any possible way in order to minimize the tragedy. He himself is in a very stressful situation and he is still in shock – said Dosen and also confirmed there would be 15 witnesses interrogated. He said he believed Horvatincic would be released before the expiration date of the custody detention.
Dosen said that, despite the fact of Horvatincic’s lady companion being, in matter of fact, his wife in common-law, the defense wouldn’t counteract with her testimony. He said that Horvatincic was detained in custody along with other eight or nine offenders and that he didn’t complain about the jail conditions.