FEBRUARY 10 2008 12:59h
Candidacy of Radimir Cacic for the party president post was supported at the HNS convention yesterday.
ZAGREB, CROATIA - The Croatian People`s Party (HNS) members have decided – they will support Radimir Cacic as the party president candidate at the 9th party assembly on April 6. At the same time, the proposal of nominating another candidate, Medjimurje prefect Josip Posavec, was rejected and he was dismissed from the party vice president post.
- I feel good. Today, the party statute was not honoured, they did not cast secret votes for my candidacy so certain colleagues obviously felt threatened to raise their hand for me. Posavec said, pointing out he has no intention of quitting.
Posavec: Unlike Cacic, I am a democratic leader
Posavec believes the entire sitting was not in accordance with the protocol. Thus, he stressed that the entire party statute should be immediately altered. He believes he is a better president than Radimir Cacic.
- Because I am a democratic leader, whereas Cacic is not. I supported him today, the Central Committee can support only one candidate, I have nothing against Cacic, but a line of irregularities was made while running the convention – Posavec said.
Pusic: I will work on the political definition of the party
- Bipolarisation has definitely crushed all the small parties in Croatia. Therefore, this is our chance to establish ourselves as a significant party among two most powerful political poles. This is not guaranteed and because of it, we need a more powerful political structure and infrastructure – Pusic said, pointing out that this gives her a greater chance to define political positions of the party, while Cacic will be working on the party infrastructure.
- I am proud of this party`s results in the past 8 years that I have run it – Pusic said.
Pusic added that Posavec was dismissed due to violating the party rules of procedure, which was especially emphasised during the electoral campaign. Future party president Radimir Cacic believes he will have the time to run the party and he still plans to remain Varazdin prefect.
Cacic: Coalition with the HDZ is possible
- Most definitely, the key assignment of my mandate is to continue this joint leadership of the party. Vesna Pusic`s contribution is not questionable – her results are based on clarity, credibility and consistency of political viewpoints and this is where her signature matters – Cacic said.
His contribution remains to be seen.
- The position of the HNS must be completely independent, it will be the opposition, but anyone who might try to join us will have to keep in mind our positions – Cacic pointed out, insinuating the possible coalition with the Social Democratic Party (SDP) on a local level.
- Everyone is welcome, even the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ), let them come to our positions - Cacic concluded.
Will Cacic have a challenger for the party presidential post? It will be revealed on April 6 on the party assembly. Take a look at the photos from the HNS convention in the PHOTOGALLERY.