JUNE 8 2010 16:21h
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said on Tuesday his side is looking to recruit up to three new players and he hinted that talismanic Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and Inter Milan defender Maicon were possible targets.
- I think we already have stars in our squad, what we are certainly going to do is sign two or three great players to complete the team - he told Spanish television station Antena 3.
- We still have not discussed new signings but both are amongst the best players in their positions - he added when asked about Gerrard and Maicon.
Perez was clearer about the club's interest in Sevilla's Spanish winger Jesus Navas and Portuguese side Benfica's Argentine winger Angel di Maria.
- They are two players who I also like very much and we are going to work this summer to incorporate those great players who complete the magnificent roster that we have today - he said.
He added Real have no interest in Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who Barcelona are keen to sign, or Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney and Bayern Munich's French winger Franck Ribery.
- I see signing Ribery as impossible because he has just renewed his contract with Bayern and in Rooney's position we have very good players. Real Madrid has not had any negotiations to sign Cesc Fabregas- he said.
Last season Real spent over 250 million euros on big names such as Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Brazil's Kaka but it failed to progress past the first knockout round of the Champions League and finished second in the league to Barcelona
Real's recently-appointed coach Jose Mourinho said Real needed "three or four" new players when he was unveiled last month on a four-year deal.
- The truth is that the club is happy with the players from last season. We do not need big changes in this squad - he said.
Mourinho took over from Chilean Manuel Pellegrini after leading Inter Milan to an historic treble of successes in Italy's Serie A championship, the Italian Cup and Champions League.