BizarreThe Newest Articles
AUGUST 15 2011 19:09h
'World's Largest Stove' destroyed
The Detroit Free Press reported the stove was destroyed, with only its frame and base remaining.
Detroit Fire Department Senior Chief Michael Herron said the stove is believed to have been struck by lightning Saturday at some point before firefighters responded at about 8 p.m., The Detroit News reported Monday.
"It was just about the time when the storm went through," he said. "[Lightning] could have hit and smoldered for a long time before anyone even noticed it."
The stove, a 20-foot-tall Garland model kitchen range built by the Michigan Stove Co. in 1893, was moved to the fairgrounds in 1998.
DETROIT, Aug. 15 (UPI) -- Detroit officials said the "World's Largest Stove," a metal-and-wood landmark at the Michigan State Fairgrounds, caught fire after an apparent lightning strike.